Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pigs singing opera

When I heard there was an opportunity for my kid to hear pigs singing opera, you know I was all over it. We took Mia to hear the Cimarron Circuit Opera Company perform "The Three Little Pigs." The group is doing a tour of metro libraries.

We realized that not only was this Mia's first opera, but it was our first opera as well. Good thing we started with something easy.

I was a little nervous about how Mia would act. Most of the children were older than her, and I was scared she'd maybe make a break for it and tear down the set.

Nope. Not an issue. The whole half-hour she sat like this:


She watched everything intently. The only time she moved was to shift from Leigh's lap to mine. The signers were fantastic, and the older kids laughed and laughed at their jokes. It was fabulous. Afterward we got in line to take a picture with the three little pigs.



We are really lucky to live in a city with such fabulous things to do. Mia was 21 months old when she saw her first opera performance. I was 29. Hooray for Oklahoma City and the Metropolitan Library System!

No comments:

Post a Comment