Monday, June 6, 2011

A child of the 80s

Leigh's birthday is Saturday, but scheduling a party for him has been pretty much impossible. The city's big film festial is this weekend, and friends have scheduled events for next week. We were busy last weekend. It just wasn't going to work out, and Leigh was getting pretty bummed out about it. So I planned him a surprise party, even though he asks for a surprise party every single year. The theme: 1980s. Leigh was born in 1981, so we had a tribute to that child of the 80s.



Our friend invited us over for dinner as a decoy, and we showed up in regular clothes. I'd been to the thrift store to buy some amazing outfits for all three of us, so they were waiting in the trunk. Our friends Stacy and Andy opened the door, and Stacy was dressed completely 80s. She had a fabulous side ponytail and old Lemondheads shirt. Stacy is one of the most stylish people I know. She's always dressed to the nines, and I have literally never seen her in anything but a dress or skirt. I knew the surprise was blown as soon as I saw her.


Turns out, Leigh just thought Stacy was drunk.


Surprise still on!


We walked across their living room - where Leigh's presents were - and toward the kitchen, where our friends all shouted surprise. Leigh was, sadly, actually surprised. He will not be taking up a job as a detective any time soon.


Sadly, Mia was also surprised. She was not as excited.




I dashed out to the car and got our hilarious outfits. Here are some of the folks who dressed up:




And more party pictures:




This is my favorite picture. I'm guessing that Stacy labeled these drinks. "Sangria" and "Boring Juice."



1 comment:

  1. awhh!! Happy 30th!! (Mine's around the corner and I'm going rafting!)

    ReplyDelete