Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My long-lost friend

Tonight I had one of the coolest experiences ever: I got to see my best childhood friend for the first time in 15 years. Fifteen years! That's a high school sophomore, people! I might have cried. Several times.

Nikki Lindsey moved away after seventh grade, and I was just heartbroken. We rode the bus together every day and we always friends. My favorite memory of her was during Christmas time in fifth grade. We were riding the bus, and she wore a pink sweater and tiny red ornament earrings. I told her that pink and red didn't match because I didn't want her to be embarrassed at school by this fashion faux pas. She looked at me blankly and said, "I don't care." In that moment she became my hero. She never cared what other people thought. She was irrepressibly herself, which just happened to be one fantastic person. She was outgoing and brave - two things I always wanted to be.

We took her to Iguana, which is the best place to be in Oklahoma City on a Tuesday night. We had tacos and talked about our lives. She's a super-fancy meteorologist for a wind energy company in Boston. WOW! She's always been so, so smart. I know we're the same age, but I just felt so proud of her. Leigh eventually joined us, and brought Mia along. Nikki made Mia laugh with the same funny faces that made me laugh on the bus.

I am so, so grateful to have seen her. Leigh and I have decided we are going to see her in Boston. Because 15 years apart was far too long.

Nikki and Mia both loved this rattle.
Nikki gives Mia some smooches!
So fantastic!

2 comments:

  1. Also come and see me in Boston! We'll have chowder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Nikki's Mom-
    I am so glad you two got to see each other! Your baby's beautiful, and so are you. I'm so glad I was able to help you in your time of need. Thank you for being my daughter's best friend. Time and distance mean nothing.
    Love always,
    Ma #2

    ReplyDelete