Sunday, June 6, 2010

Down with the sickness

Last night was fantastically silly. Leigh, Jason, Jade and I went out to Long Street in Cape Town. (It's like Dickson Street in Fayetteville times 10.) I've decided The Waiting Room is the best bar ever. It was so much fun!

But today hasn't been too hot for Mia and me.

Mia: She's been throwing up for a few days but appeared to be feeling herself. This morning, that was not the case. She slept until 11 a.m. She woke up here and there but barely could keep her eyes open. I emailed Nancy a few days ago for advice about her throwing up. She said if Mia didn't have a fever and wasn't listless, it probably was something that would pass. But this morning she was hard to keep awake and had a mild fever. We decided to take her to the doctor.

We went to a clinic that was open on the weekends. This is what everybody does pretty much instead of going to the emergency room. The receptionist reminded us it would cost extra because it was a weekend, but that was OK. We saw the doctor immediately. He was dressed in a plaid shirt, jeans and sneakers. He was funny and thorough. He suspected a urinary tract infection and a test confirmed it.

We had no insurance. It was Sunday. The final cost? A little more than $60. That's it.

I don't know much about health care, but I'd like to sign up for whatever plan South Africa has.

Me: I've been throwing up all day. I have no idea what's up but it has been absolutely awful. Toward the end of the night I finally kept down some tea, so that was nice. Yikes!

We sort of spent the day hanging out and resting at Jade's apartment. Leigh went out and had supper with a childhood friend - Duncan - and his girlfriend. They had a great time, and I'm really glad he went.

No comments:

Post a Comment