Saturday, June 12, 2010

The best way to eat pancakes

South Africans know how to do lots of things well, but they really know how to do pancakes right.
Syrup? Nah. It's all about ice cream. Alfie, Carin, Tanya, Gianna, Leigh, Mia and I went for pancakes at Hartebeerspoort Dam. I got the same as last time - caramel banana - because it is incomparably delicious. Tanya and Gianna dug the South African way of eating pancakes. But seriously, can you go wrong?

Afterward we roamed the flea market. Tanya negotiated like a champ; Gianna felt a little guilty. I totally understand; I felt guilty when I first started bargaining, too. But then when I realized that the price for Americans is probably double what it is for locals, I felt a lot less guilty about negotiating. We got lots of good stuff for Vilakazi and I made a fantastic purchase for our house. I bought a wood carving of three warthogs. It's absolutely beautiful! And I negotiated from R1,500 down to R500. I think I'm getting better at bargaining. :)

We stopped off to pick up some snacks at a grocery store, and Leigh caught Mia on video learning this nifty trick:



We dropped off Gianna at the airport, which was a total bummer. I wish she could have stayed longer, but I'm so glad we got to meet her and that she came.

We decided that after the madness of Friday that it would be best to watch the U.S. take on England at home. We ordered pizza and stayed in. It was fantastically calm. The U.S. scored one goal, and of course it was when I went to the bathroom. The game was a draw but it was still really exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment