Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A day of firsts

Mia had so many firsts today:

* Trip to the beach. She celebrated by crawling all over the place and eating sand.




* Dip in the ocean. She celebrated by looking suspiciously at the waves.
* Visit to Coffee Bay. The hippies are everywhere, and I'm pretty sure everyone has held Mia.
* Camping trip. She's be wrapped up like a little enchilada and sleep between us tonight. Hopefully it won't get too cold. So far she's been a champ about it - just like everything else.

I also had a couple firsts:

* First drug offer. I'm probably the only person I know who hasn't been offered drugs before, but I remembered what I learned in second grade: just say no. Thanks, Ronald Reagan.
* First time to feel old. All the hippies, stoners and backpackers went to the bar after supper. Leigh and I are taking Mia to bed.

We met Dawn, the preschool teacher we've been coordinating with for Vilakazi. Tomorrow morning we'll go to the school after breakfast and take the children the supplies. One change of plans: the sports equipment will go to an American guy (or maybe he's Welsh?) who is organizing athletic leagues throughout the area. It's something that's needed for sure! Hopefully this equipment that basically has fallen out of the sky will be helpful to him. We're really looking forward to the morning!

1 comment:

  1. I'm imagining the look on Mia's face during her ocean swim looked something like this...

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_z5rmTBTd0So/S_KoXBHWjDI/AAAAAAAAMCo/x0BVV26BBdE/s400/10+05+10+Sippy+cup+2.JPG

    ReplyDelete