Monday, February 1, 2010

The Jacobs Fam

So, I'm going to get mushy. Don't judge me! I entered this contest that was to send in a photo that describes love and write a short essay about why. I entered us with this photo, which is probably the coolest photo ever. (In case you're wondering, the uber-talented Lindsay Laird took it.) And I included my essay below. Yes, it's mushy but I mean it! So hush!



Love is our family.

My husband and I celebrated our first anniversary ten days before the birth of our daughter, Mia. As first time parents, we were petrified and excited. Most of all, we were impatient for her arrival. We couldn’t wait.

This photo shows our hands over my pregnant belly just a month before Mia was born. A friend of ours took it. To me, this picture shows our effort to raise our daughter in a caring home where she will be supported and encouraged by both of us. And it shows that before she even came into the world, there was an army of people who already loved her. It’s my favorite family portrait, even though you can’t see anyone’s faces.

Now that Mia is here, our excitement continues every day. It’s hard to believe that your heart can get any bigger — that there’s any way for you to love any more than you already do. But each day brings new challenges, triumphs and little details that are special to us, even if they’re the everyday things that nobody else would care about. I realize now that the heart doesn’t have a limit.

1 comment: