Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tickets and the swing

We got some good news and some bad news yesterday about World Cup tickets.

The bad news first: I won't be going with Alfie to see America play Slovenia. The category of tickets he bought require South African ID for each individual ticket - not just the purchaser as we originally thought. I almost cried but it's OK. There will be several games before this one to see if the rule is actually enforced. If not, Leigh and I will go. If so, it's OK.

The good news: we bought tickets to other games today. Leigh, our friend Tanya and I will see Algeria play Slovenia on June 13. Leigh and I will see France play Mexico. We don't know who to cheer for, so we plan to wear gear supporting the U.S. and Bafana Bafana.

Today was a nice, lazy day - a real vacation day. We slept in, played with Mia and grilled dinner when Alfie came home from work early.

I still haven't acclimated to SA time. I'm battling jet lag, but everyone knows I give in easily to the need to nap. Leigh is doing well.

Mia hasn't quite been herself on this trip. We aren't sure what's going on, but we think she isn't feeling well. She is normally a very happy child; she rarely cries, even if she's wet or hungry. But since we arrived she's been crying often and getting brief fevers. She might be teething or she might have an ear infection. I talked to the maid, Sonja, and she said she might just be feeling under the weather a bit. She said she and her son feel sick for the first few days they visit home in Zimbabwe. I felt this way when we came to SA in 2007. Hopefully this is the problem. Mia had some very good times today, so hopefully those will get longer and longer.

Speaking of feeling under the weather, Sonja's son, Bradley, was sick today. She told him he wasn't allowed to be around Mia until he felt better. He cried often because of this rule. He is so sweet. So instead he spent time with his mother. He pretended to iron clothes with a small toy iron while she ironed clothes with a real iron. He asked to help her carry things. He is a good boy, and I felt so bad when I told him not to cough on Mia. He would be so sad. He loves her so much!

Tonight Leigh grilled while Alfie and I sat outside in their patio area. It's beautiful and the weather was perfect. Mia was happy and giggling and smiling at everybody. Then Alfie decided she needed a swing. To be honest, I wasn't sure how this was going to shake out. But he managed to hang her car seat from a tree with a rope. Mia loved it! It was great!



All our love!

1 comment: