Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Deliciousness and dates

Today was a day of food and organizing - two of my favorite things, one of Leigh's favorite things.

We had breakfast at Wimpy, which is one of Leigh's favorite restaurants here in SA. It's like Denny's but with baked beans as a side for every breakfast meal. The waitress dropped an entire glass of ice water on me as she brought out our food, which required us to go home for a change of clothes instead of visiting Pretoria as planned. We met Alfie for lunch and enjoyed one of Eskom's (the national electric company where Leigh's dad works) famous R7 lunches. That's about $1 for lunch! We had curried beef, baked chicken, veggies, dessert - everything! Fabulous! And Alfie had the best time showing Mia off to his coworkers. While we were eating, Alfie pointed out that women love babies. We all believed him, but he announced, "Watch my experiment." He carried Mia over to a table of women, who all immediately went gaga for her. They were all carrying on - Alfie, one baby and about eight women - until everyone said, "Aww - shame!" at the same time. Alfie turned around and Mia was crying in full force. He hurried back to the table and handed her over to me at once. Though his experiment ended abruptly, he proved his theory, which was all believed in the first place. It was hilarious.

We bought Mia some food today at one of the local grocery stores. I picked out all the flavors I could find that I figured we couldn't get her at home:
*Vegetables, lamb, peaches and apples
* Butternut, chicken and barley
* Guavas and yogurt
* Baby marrows, peas and pasta
* Carrots, semolina and honey
Mia hasn't tried them yet, but I'll be honest: I have no idea what a few of those things are.

This evening we grilled indoors. Admittedly, that sounds ridiculously dangerous in the company of a small child, but it was fine. Alfie cooked ostrich sausage and kabobs on a grill the size of a TV tray. It was my first time with ostrich and let me just say it was FANTASTIC! The sausage wasn't really for me, but I could eat the kabobs every day for the rest of my life. I'm a picky eater, so that is saying a lot.

Enough about eating.

We roughly planned the rest of our trip:

May 28 to May 30 - camping and safari in Pilansberg, which should be SPECTACULAR!
May 31 to June 2 - Vilakazi stuff in Coffee Bay, which will make me cry I'm sure.
June 3 to June 6 or 7 - visiting family in Cape Town, which will involve lots more eating.
June 7 or 8 and after - staying in the Joburg area, which will be all about the WORLD CUP!

I usually don't condone exclamation points or unnecessarily using the capslock, but this is AWESOME! AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment